Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco De Mayo Dinner

I should know better than to ask my husband what he wants for dinner when I am planning meals. He has two answers.
                    A. Food
                    B. Mexican
So since its Cinco De Mayo today, yes I made Mexican. But I wasn't feeling up to what I might normally make. So I went to pinterest earlier in the week, isn't that what we all do now for new ideas? And I found these Mexican stuffed shells. They look good but were just so close to tacos which we have those or taco salads all the time. So I decided to Make them with a chicken enchilada twist.

You will need
 About 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 small cans green enchilada sauce
1 1/2 cup shredded mexican blend cheese (this is that mix that comes pre-shredded)
1/4-1/2 a round of queso fresco
Half an onion largely chopped
1 box jumbo shell noodles for stuffing


To cook my chicken I boiled it with the chopped onion and seasoned my water with my favorite spices. This took about 15 min after the water came to a boil. Drain the chicken and shred with to forks and use a knife to chop the onions a little smaller. Mix with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. and half a can of the enchilada sauce.
 I know not the prettiest picture but I want you to see that I use lots of seasoning so the water has some color and flavor
 drained
And mixed.

While shredding your chicken start your shells. Cook them just under the cooking time on the box. They will finish cooking in the oven. Once your shells have cooked drain them and rinse with cool water so they are easy to handle. I also suggest laying them out on a cookie sheet or cutting board as does the other recipe so they don't stick together. Fill with the chicken mixture and lay in a 9x13 baking dish.
 Cover with the green enchilada sauce and add cheese!
In case you don't know this is what queso fresco packaging looks like (here at least).

Bake at 375 for 15-20 min till cheese is melted and the chicken is warmed.


We enjoyed ours with a nice watermelon margarita!

Happy Cinco De Mayo everyone!!

P.s. please feel free to use those great already roasted chickens that you can find in all stores now! Thats what I usually use for enchiladas on weeknights. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Oh my these look delish!! I almost bought those shells at the grocery store today but didnt know what to make with them.. thanks for a great recipe! Pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man those look sooooooo good! Mexican and shells, I was sold before I even got here :)

    Came over from the It's Overflowing Party.

    Your newest follower
    Ashleigh
    http://livegorgeously.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I have never heard of this recipe, but it sounds delicious. I have a linky party & would love to have you stop in & share this recipe if you have the chance. Thanks!
    http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete