Wednesday, April 2, 2014

spring time spritz cookies



It seems to me we all only remember to bring out the handy dandy cookie press at Christmas. Now they make cute Christmas cookies but what about some spring time Easter cookies? These simple cookies can be brought up a notch by simply adding some food coloring and making them pretty colors!! I followed Wilton's spritz cookie recipe with one small change, I didn't add almond extract. 

These are yummy little sugar cookies that are easy to pop in your mouth and be on your way. They also happen to be the perfect size and softness for my 15 month old!! She is loving having these special little treats around I had to hide them in the pantry so she couldn't see them during dinner!

What you need
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla ( wilton calls for 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)

cookie press and disks

What you do
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a one bowl mix your flour and baking powder and set aside. In your stand mixer beat together the butter and sugar, add in the egg milk and vanilla mixing well. Slowly add in the flour until well incorporated. 
At this point if you wish to add color seperate the dough into equal parts for each color wanted. I picked five colors and used food coloring gel. Have fun you can mix colors to get a color you don't have. 

Load your cookie press per its instructions. This is where you have a couple options you can load multiple colors and you will get a couple mixed colored cookies or you can load one color at a time and clean out the press between each color. I let mine mix I feel it gave the cookies a lot of character.

Press your cookies onto your cookie sheets.I used a disk that reminded me of flowers for spring.




Bake for 10-12 minutes and enjoy these bite size cookies! 





Pin It

18 comments: