Monday, January 13, 2014

Weekly vinyl wall calendar

So I am doing a challenge! A challenge to use my silhouette cutting machine in 12 different ways. This months challenge was for organization!! We all need a little organization in our lives right? Well for me I really want to get better at my meal planning! So I came up with this vinyl wall calendar to write down my meals and other things going on during week. The only thing is I need to get a chalk pen because the regular chalk is not working with my textured walls. 

What I did was pick my shape and write out my days.  The shape was cut using chalkboard vinyl and then the days were cut from just a colored vinyl. What's great about this project is you can customize it  to fit your style!  
The wall I picked for my calendar is big and empty. It's by my daughters toys and our computers so I wanted it fun!!!! 





Since I have a a silhouette SD my shape is only 8 inches wide but I went 11 inches long to cut. Then turned sideways on the wall and I have lots of space to write! The only thing to keep in mind is the regular chalk does not work if your wall is textured like mine. I still have to go out and pick up a chalk marker. 

To put on my wall I used Glad press and seal for the kitchen instead of traditional transfer paper and it worked great!


Please check out below for what my fellow challengers did to organize their lives a little by using their silhouette cutting machines. And stay tuned for the monthly challenges, next months theme is FABRIC I have no idea what I will do yet but I can't wait to see what everyone else does!!!


Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge buddies and I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of Silhouette inspiration!
  1. DIY Window Shutter Mail Organizer by Weekend Craft
  2. Kids' Art Wall by Tried & True
  3. Organizing Silhouette and Craft Supplies by The Happier Homemaker
  4. Simple Recipe Organization by It's Always Craft Time
  5. Put a Label on it! Herb Names for Plant Stakes by Get Silvered
  6. Super Simple Linen Closet Labels by Two Purple Couches
  7. Beware of the Animals Vinyl Toy Box by A Tossed Salad Life
  8. Child desk accessories by Architecture of a Mom
  9. Organizing & the Important of Labels by The Turquoise Home
  10. Index Card Organizer for Easier Meal Planning by Chicken Scratch NY
  11. Create Craft Room Labels by Dragonfly & Lilypads
  12. Simple Storage Solution for your Christmas Ornaments by Vintage News Junkie
  13. Organize this: DIY Planner Covers, Tags & Dividers (made with Cereal Boxes) by Black and White Obsession
  14. How to Make a Cut File into a Print & Cut by Create & Babble
  15. Simple Chest Freezer Organizational Board by Nearly Handmade
  16. Vinyl Your Kitchen Canisters! by From Wine to Whine
  17. Nursery Closet Dividers & Silhouette Cut File by Creative Ramblings
  18. Make Custom Box Templates with a Silhouette for Drawer Organization by One Dog Woof
  19. Organizing the Craft Room by What's Next Ma
  20. Vinyl Wall Calendar by Crafts Cakes and Cats
  21. Personalized Toy Storage Bins by Lil' Mrs. Tori
  22. Personalized Routine Chart by Work in Progress
  23. Blog Planner Sheet Dividers + Free Cut Files by TitiCrafty by Camila
  24. Simple Project Calendar by Little Blue's Room
  25. Dry Erase Photo Frame Menu Board + Free Cut File by Essentially Eclectic
  26. Receipt Organization with Free Cut File by The Thinking Closet
  27. Cute and Easy Labels by Life After Laundry
  28. "What's For Dinner?" Menu Planning Board by unOriginal Mom
  29. Mixing Organization and Function: An Easy Conversion Chart by My Paper Craze
  30. Why do my cookies taste so bad? A lesson in baking. by The Life and Times of a TAP
  31. Custom Drawer Dividers by Please Excuse My Craftermath...
  32. The evolution of my labeling system by feto soap
  33. Ikea Drawer labels by McCall Manor
  34. Glass Etched Vinegar  & Oil bottles by Terri Johnson Creates
  35. Organize It: Bathroom Closet by The House on Hillbrook
  36. Ombre Butterfly Magnet Board by Sowdering About
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Great idea!! It'll make food shopping so much easier when you lay out your menu that way!! (plus, no one asking what's for dinner!) Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad press and seal? What a cool idea! I've heard of contact paper before, but the press and seal has to be one of the cheapest alternatives I've seen. I'm definitely going to try that sometime! And I love the idea of using the wall as the background to the calendar (instead of , say, a separate piece of vinyl). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you have this, in your kitchen? I like this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we use the eat in area in our kitchen our dining room (right next to the kitchen) is open so we have our desks there and half the toys. The toys are there so my daughter has her toys spread around the house not just one area. And so i have this big wall that is empty and not being used but its a great space for this because its right by the kitchen and our desks!!

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea Amy. Very useful indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I may need to do this for menu planning to keep from hearing that dreaded "what's for dinner" question!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Love being able to use vinyl right on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wish I had all these great ideas and my silhouette when my kids were small!! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I desperately need a bigger house with a giant blank wall so I can do this! It just makes my little list maker heart happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mind is blown! Glad Press & Seal! What a wonderful idea! I would have never thought to use that. I've been using contact paper and it's just too sticky for a lot of stuff I want to use it on... I'll give that a try next! PS. Your weekly calendar looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great project and I am new to the challenge and learning so many tips. I am going to try the Glad press and seal, plus I did not know about chalk markers. Where do you get them and what is a decent price?
    I am Dragonfly & Lily Pads to introduce my self.

    ReplyDelete