Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Dry Fried Calamari



Do you have an all time favorite appetizer to order when you go to a restaurant? I would say my husband and I usually choose calamari. Its always hit or miss where you go because just cooked a few seconds too long and it gets chewy.

And I bet you never thought it would be easy to make at home the right way! But it is, we follow Alton Brown's recipe over at foodnetwork.com. We really like this dry fried way, its basic and you can spice it up your own way. The key is to cook it for no long than 60 seconds!! No joke I time it on my phone while my husband cooks.

What you need
1 pound squid ( we get tubes and tentacles and buy it at whole foods so far the only place we can find that has it)
2 quarts oil, peanut or vegetable
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
salt, pepper, and what ever other seasonings you want to add

Heat oil to 375, make sure to use a thermometer and do your best to keep it at that temperature while cooking. Rinse your squid really well and pat dry. Cut the tubes into 1/2 inch rings and set aside with the tentacles. Mix together your flour, corn meal, and seasonings. doing a small handful at a time dredge the squid in the mixture and set aside.



Cook squid in oil in small batches for only 1 minute( 60 seconds), no joke use a stop watch!!!


Let cool on a cookies sheet lined with paper towels to soak up the oil.

Dip in your favorite tartar sauce or cocktail sauce. My husband loves to add siracha hot sauce to the cocktail sauce.
 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment