Monday, April 9, 2012

Twix time



I have fond memory of going to the grocery store with my mom as a child and asking if I could get a treat. I mean really what child wants to go to the grocery store we should be rewarded for going without a fight. Well my mom usually said yes and I would get the usual Snickers, Starbursts, or my favorite TWIX.  Now years later I know how much my mom has always hated grocery shopping and therefore I think she should have been getting herself chocolate all those times. But I was a child and didn't pay enough attention and I am sure plenty of treats were home without my knowledge. 


A month or so ago my best friend over at MorningNooNight got this idea of making homemade Snickers from that we occasionally talked about what other candy bars could be made at home when I came across Twix on pinterest. I originally pinned it for her but her blogging and baking schedule had been booked haha. So I kept looking at them waiting for when I would have time. And this was Easter weekend and our childless household deserved a treat while everyone was hunting eggs! I mean again adults need treats too!




Ingredients
Shortbread Layer
~ 1 cup Salted butter
~1 cup confectioners sugar
~2 Teaspoons Vanilla 
~2Cups flour

Caramel Layer
~2 cups caramel in pieces (I used the individually wrapped ones as I would for caramel apples)
~3 Tablespoons heavy cream

Chocolate Layer
~3 Cups chopped milk or dark chocolate
~1 Tablespoon vegetable shortening 
Instructions
  1. For the crust: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Spray a 9 x 13 pan lightly with cooking spray, or line with parchment, and set aside.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour. At first the mixture may seem dry, but will come together as you continue to beat at medium speed.
3.Take the dough and press it evenly into the pan. Lightly flouring yourhands will help with any sticking.
4. Prick the crust all over with a fork. The holes will allow steam to escape and the crust will bake evenly with fewer bubbles.
5.Bake the crust until it’s lightly golden brown on top and the edges are deeper golden brown, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the edges to loosen the crust. Set it aside to cool completely.
6.For the caramel layer:Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in a small saucepan. Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill and firm up.
After it cooled i chose to cut into strips and dip
7. For the chocolate layer: Melt the milk or dark chocolate slowly in a double boiler or over very low heat. If it seems very thick, add a tablespoon of shortening to thin it. Pour evenly over the chilled caramel layer and spread to cover all of the caramel. Return to the fridge until the chocolate is well set. Cut into 2 x 2 squares to serve. It’s best to store these bars in the refrigerator. But to eat I like letting mine get to room temp
8. These bars can also be cut and dipped in milk chocolate to resemble Twix  bars. After the caramel layer has chilled firm, cut down the length of the pan, splitting the bars into two long, narrow bars. Then cut each long strip into “fingers”.

9.Dip the chilled bars into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to set for several hours.





Pin It

23 comments:

  1. These look delicious!! I can't wait to give them a try - thanks for sharing!
    ~Bethanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw the post on Frugal girls!!! yay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! Thanks for sharing your recipe, just pinned it! I saw your link @ The Frugal girls Chic & Crafty party! Cheers ~ Mary (sweetlittlebluebird.com)

    ReplyDelete