Friday, July 27, 2012

Hot and Sour soup- crock pot style!



Do you like Chinese food? We love Chinese, actually if we are being honest we love almost all food. But when cooking it at home who said it always had to be stir fry or sweet and sour chicken?? My husband will always order hot and sour soup when we go out for Chinese but for me its hit or miss. I always worry about the hot being too hot, but doing this at home you can make it the perfect hot. 


This recipe is not exactly what you get at the restaurant it has protein in it and can be a main course dish for your dinner. Its also very easy to make into a vegetarian dish if that is what you want. Oh and did I mention its cooked in the crock pot!!! Really the hardest part of the meal was trying to remember where I put the crock pot when we unpacked it. 



Hot and Sour Soup
32 oz chicken broth ( use vegetable if going vegetarian)
1 cup cooked chicken or pork (I buy the cooked roasted chicken in the deli)
4 oz fresh shitake mushroom caps thinly sliced. ( Most stores have it already sliced. When my store is out I just use white mushrooms)
1 small can sliced bamboo shoots (about 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
honey (you will choose amount for me its just one turn around my pot)
4 oz firm tofu well drained and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (optional)
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water



Combine broth, chicken, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, vinegar, soy sauce, and sriracha in crock pot. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. At 2 hrs in taste the broth and decide on how much honey to add. This will cut the hot down just a little. Really depends on how much you add. 


Stir in tofu and sesame oil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth then stir into the soup. 





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment