Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mocha turtle cupcakes

What happens when you mix coffee, chocolate, and snickers bars? You get the perfect drink at Caribou Coffee---TURTLE MOCHA


And since I love it so much and I am slightly addicted to making cupcakes I want to combine the two!

This is my first attempt at taking a baking recipe and adding my own twist and I am very proud of how it turned out.

I used the the perfect chocolate cupcake recipe from Glourious Treats and made my own changes to it. The main change being coffee!! How am I supposed to make a mocha cupcake without coffee after all.



 Chocolate Cupcakes(with my changes)
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)
1/4 cup hot water
2 shots espresso or 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee
Directions-
Line muffin tin with paper liners.  Heat oven to 350*F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for one minute.
Stir in water and coffee
Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. I find a ice cream scoop works wonders
Bake cupcakes for approximately 20-22 minutes.
Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

For the frosting pick your favorite butter cream frosting and add Caramel syrup, I used this one that we use in coffee drinks at home but I did read that the caramel that you would put on ice cream works well in frosting too.
(I like that it was sugar free since butter cream frosting already has so much sugar)
And the best part of the cupcake....snickers!!!!! I am not a huge candy bar person but I can never turn down a snickers bar
Caution you will eat some don't be afraid. 

 For chopping up the snicker my mini processor worked perfectly!!


And then you will be left with one very yummy cupcake








Pin It

2 comments: