Sunday, January 8, 2012

Trying to fly with the butterflies


I had one goal for this weekend, do something I can blog about!! And since you are seeing this I am sure you can guess that I met my goal of the weekend. I decided to try a cupcake design from Hello Cupcake! a Christmas present that was given to me by my husbands parents. And let me say I have been eyeing this book for so long and when I opened was sad only cause I knew it would be weeks before I could try something do to traveling.


(picture from amazon)
When I told my husband I am doing cupcakes I got the usual as long as you give most away. That is normal for him because why do 2 people need 12 plus cupcakes depending on what I am doing. Luckily I work with kids and all kids love cupcakes.


So why not start out easy and do one that just requires jelly beans...mostly because that didn't sound as fun to blog about.
So I did butterflies that require me to draw with chocolate! And for my first time it wasn't so bad.




All I needed was
12 cupcakes (I used this recipe on Glorious treats)
butterfly pattern
white and chocolate frosting
candy wafers in 2 colors
ziplock bags
wax paper
 










I used the pattern that came in the book, then melted candies in the ziplock bags and traced



Things learned.. do one at a time and do thick lines then fill in when I filled in they looked like ..
 Not bad for a first time! So I made bodies with the chocolate frosting on the yellow frosted cupcakes, they didn't turn out too bad.


The look good for a first try but I wanted to try again. So this morning I melted more chocolate and did better!!
By doing one wing at a time and filling it in right away i was able to get the striping because it Hadn't set up yet.I didn't  follow the pattern lines exact and made the lines thicker which helps make it look nice and I was able to get a smoother look. The very first picture of this post is of one from this morning
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment