Thursday, September 6, 2012

Clam Chowder



So here's the thing, kids are back in school and pumpkin greatness is back at Starbucks there for I say fall is here!! And even though I have no idea what the weather will be like here in San Diego for the next two seasons (for sure not what we are used to) that is not going to stop me from making those warm comfort foods that are enjoyed as the leaves turn colors and the kids bundle up in those cute costumes.

So my first comfort food soup! And this was not just any soup I made clam chowder in sourdough bowls!! But don't get too excited I didn't make the bowls. I did however take things from a couple recipes to come up with a simple yet yummy soup that lasted us one dinner and two lunches.

Clam Chowder
3 slices peppered bacon
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 large potatoes cubed
2 (5oz) cans clams, juice reserved
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter

*Add bacon to large pot and cook till crispy.
*Add the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
*Add reserved clam juice and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are fork tender (15-20 min). Stirring occasionally.
*Add remaining ingredients and cook for another 30-45 min or until thickened. Don't forget to stir occasionally to keep from sticking!!

For the bowls check out the fresh bread section in the grocery store and find small sourdough rounds
 Use a paring knife to cut the top much like you would a pumpkin
 Use a spoon to help hollow out the bowl some more. Don't throw away any of the bread!! Use it for dipping in the warm goodness!
 Fill with the soup and enjoy! And when I say enjoy I mean don't forget to eat the bowl too.

Pin It

1 comment: