Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Creme brulee cheese cake bars

I feel like I have been holding this post hostage and its been trying to escape. So today I am setting it free!!

My husband makes a fantastic vanilla creme brulee! He uses Alton Brown's recipe from food network. And I think the real reason he loves making it is that it involves fire. I mean what is with men and anything to do with fire? So I came across these bars just before his birthday and that is what he wanted right away. It combines his 3 favorite things after all creme brulee, cheesecake, and fire.

These are so tasty but I would make some changes next time. First of all I would try harder to wait the 2 hours to chill haha and second for the sugar  I would use vanilla sugar it just seems to brulee better.

Creme Brulee bars
(From Handle The Heat)

Crust
~9 Graham crackers crushed finely (use food processor or put in bag and use rolling pin)
~1/2 stick of unsalted melted butter
~Line a 8x8 baking dish with foil making sure it has an over hang. This is VERY important as you will have to remove the bars from the dish.

Mix together and press into the foil lined 8x8 baking dish. Bake in a 350° oven for 10 min. Take out and cool. Turn oven down to 300°.

Filling

~2 - 8oz packages of room temp cream cheese
~1 Vanilla bean split and scraped (You use the the seeds scraped from inside)
~2 eggs
~1 egg yolk
~1 Cup granulated sugar (Next time I am using vanilla sugar)
~1/2 teaspoon salt (She uses fine sea salt but I just used plain)

Place cream cheese in your stand mixer and beat until smooth. Mix in the remaining ingredients until well combined. Poor onto your crust. bake for about 45 minutes. You want the filling to still have a slight wiggle to it. Cool completely on counter then chill for 2 hours (if you can hold out haha).

Using the foil that is overhanging remove the bars from the pan and place on heat proof surface. I used a cookie sheet. Cut into squares and sprinkle with more sugar. Torch the tops until you get that pretty amber color of crisp sugar. You can also do this in the broiler but watch them closely.



(You didn't think I was handling the torch did you haha plus its his birthday let the man have fire)


Now the important part ENJOY!!!!!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment