Friday, September 20, 2013

Melted witches and pumpkin cupcakes

Halloween is right around the corner!!! Can you believe it? I mean as I am writing this post I am also searching for a cute costume for my daughter's 1st halloween!! So all your kids are having a party somewhere I am sure. And you want to take a treat of course! And yes the stores make fun looking cupcakes and they have plastic rings on them and they are easy to pick up and take to the party. But what if i told you that you could make your own fun looking cupcakes? Would you do it? I bet you would because you will do anything for your children just like me. Now hang with me this post might get a little lengthy but I promise the cupcakes are easy there are just a lot of pictures!

Ok so the cupcake its self I have posted before. Its my absolute favorite go to chocolate cupcake recipe. Now if you want to use box mix that is ok I like those too and probably could have used the time saving this time haha. The cupcake recipe comes from Glorious treats. Please check out her site she makes some beautiful things and her recipes all sound amazing!!

Cupcakes 
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup  milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Line muffin tin with paper liners.  Heat oven to 350*F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for one minute, stir in water.
Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. I find a ice cream scoop works wonders
Bake cupcakes for approximately 20-22 minutes.
Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

Ok now the fun part! I put a surprise in the center! I took some marshmallow fluff and died it orange! To do this i took the smallest ring in my biscuit cuter set and just took a small amount of cake out of each cupcake. filled with orange marshmallow fluff and put a little bit of removed cake back on to cover the hole. 

                                 

Frost the top of your cupcakes with chosen frosting. I bought cream cheese frosting and tinted it orange. 

For the topping you need 
Candy melts in orange, brown, and green
Oreo cookies
Hershey kisses or I molded tootsie rolls

Melted Witches came from  Confessions of a cookbook queen. Again another blog I love, not to mention she is super funny in her posts!

Melt your green and brown candy melts in separate bowls (they melt perfectly in the microwave). On a cookie sheet lined with wax paper make some circles with the green candy melts with the back of a spoon.  Take a knife and get a small amount of brown candy melts and swirl it into the green. For the hat simply take half an oreo cookie (with no filling) and use a small amount of candy melt to stick on a Hershey kiss. 

                                      

Pumpkins
Orange,brown, and green, candy melts

I printed a pumpkin pattern on the computer but if you think you can do it with out go ahead! Place pattern under the wax paper on your cookie sheet. For the pumpkins I put my melted candy melts in a piping bag. Use the brown candy melts for the stem, faces or lines on the pumpkins. I used a little green for leaves. 






Have fun with candy melts!! I wrote out "Boo" and attempted a bat but I would have needed a pattern for that haha. Candy melts are fun and actually really easy to use. If you like these please see my Butterfly cupcakes!!






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment